There’s simply no denying it, everything can be bought online these days. From everyday needs like meals and groceries, to items for special occasions such as flowers and gifts.
Buying flowers online has especially become increasingly common these days for plenty of good reasons. If you haven’t tried buying flowers online and would like to try gifting your special someone with fresh blooms for a particular occasion, then you’ve come to the right place.
Check out our comprehensive guide below for buying flowers online.
Why you should buy flowers online
Sure, there’s nothing more refreshing than personally going to a flower shop to stop and smell the roses you want to send to a loved one. There are cases however, where buying flowers online instead of making a trip to the shop can make more sense. Here are some examples:
- If you’re pressed for time - As with any online service, speed and convenience are the top benefits of buying flowers online. Don’t have time to make a trip to the store? Buy flowers online. Forgot to get a gift for your partner on your anniversary? Order a bouquet online! All it takes is a couple of clicks and you can order and send a beautiful bundle of blooms to your loved one.
- If you have no idea what flowers to pick - What’s great about buying from an online flower shop is that you can immediately see and pick from a variety of blooms. No more guessing whether your recipient’s favourite roses or lilies are available or not. You can instantly browse your options and send them to your loved one. If you have no idea which flowers are appropriate for a particular occasion, you can always ask for some recommendations from your online florist.
- If you want to compare prices - Different flowers and arrangements come with different price tags. By using an online flower delivery service, you can easily compare prices and then decide where to buy.
- If you need to send flowers ASAP - Same day delivery is a valuable service offered by some online florists. Wild Poppies for instance, can deliver hourly throughout Auckland, so if you need blooms delivered within the day, simply contact us before 2pm for Outer Suburbs or before 4pm for Central Suburbs and the CBD. We also offer emergency flower delivery, so if you have an urgent request, we will try to make it happen - whatever it takes!
- If you want to add a personal touch - Another reason why you should consider online flower delivery is you can easily make it extra special with add-ons. Wild Poppies can help you jazz up your gesture even more with our range of add-ons and designer gifts such as gift cards, fresh and stylish hampers, fine wines, and more.
What to consider when buying flowers online
When ordering flowers online, there are a couple of things you need to consider to ensure that you’re getting the best bang for your buck.
Experience - Generally, experienced florists will have built solid relationships with their customers. They will also be more equipped to handle customer requests and give you expert advice on your specific needs. At Wild Poppies, we’re happy to say that we have been online since 1998, and have delivered over 100,000 beautiful gifts to many satisfied customers!
Delivery - Obviously, you also need to check which areas your online florist services, how much the delivery cost will be, and whether they are able to cater to your special delivery requests. Our team at Wild Poppies are able to deliver in Auckland and beyond. You can also pick up your blooms at our store if you wish.
Floral arrangement - Also consider the floral arrangements that your online florist can create and whether they are able to come up with a custom arrangement for you. The top florists will offer a wide selection of floral arrangements to meet every customer’s requirements and will offer specific information on each bloom they offer.
Returns and refunds policy - Flowers don’t last forever, most especially if they didn’t arrive in the best condition. Ask your florist what their policy is if in case your order doesn’t come out as well as expected. Trustworthy flower shops will have a clear returns and refunds policy and will always strive to make it right if customers aren’t happy with their order.
Payment options - The best florists will offer a range of payment options for their customers’ convenience. Check whether they are able to accept credit (or debit) card, Paypal, or bank deposit.
Online reviews - As with any online purchase, it’s best to check reviews on online florists and service providers first before completing your transaction. A good and reliable florist will no doubt have tons of glowing reviews from satisfied customers. Avoid dealing with florists that have received lots of poor feedback as this may indicate a less-than-stellar service.
Which cut flowers last the longest?
Flowers make for excellent gifts for any occasion, but there are certain blooms that prove to be more appealing than the rest because of their longer lifespan. If you’re looking to buy flowers for a loved one, you might want to choose the blooms below so you can keep your recipient smiling for longer.
- Chrysanthemums - Chrysanthemums, or ‘mums’, are long-lasting blooms commonly used in many arrangements. They can survive for up to 7-12 days and come in many bright colours. The trick to keeping these mums from wilting is by cutting the stems shorter and removing the foliage when it begins to droop.
- Freesias - Not only do freesias have a sweet fragrance, these funnel-shaped blossoms can also last long for up to 12 days, especially when purchased while still in a bud. Just make sure to keep the vase water fresh and its stems evenly cut to prolong its life.
- Tropical flowers - Tropical flowers such as orchids, birds of paradise, anthuriums, gingers, and other cut tropical leaves can also last at least five days when brought fresh from a florist. These flowers typically grow in hot and harsh climates, which means they are able to survive and tolerate more extreme conditions.
- Carnations - Carnation flowers represent many things - a mother’s love, admiration, and good luck. Because of its rich symbolism plus the fact that they can last up to two weeks, carnations are the go-to bloom for those who want to give their loved ones a vibrant bouquet.
- Traditional lilies - Available in various sizes and colours, lilies can be bought fresh year round and can last longer than seven days when properly cared for. The best tip to make lilies last is to buy a bouquet with tight buds. The flower will slowly open, giving you or your recipient a few extra days to enjoy its stunning beauty. Also make sure to snip the blooms that are past their prime to keep your bouquet lasting longer.
How to pick flowers for every occasion
One common challenge that many people face when buying flowers online is picking the right blooms that are most appropriate for the occasion. Should you decide based on the flower’s lifespan? Its colour and shape? What about the value that the blooms symbolise?
To help make the process a whole lot easier, check out these pointers below:
- For Valentine’s day - Classic and romantic, a beautiful red rose (or three stem roses to be exact!) delivers a message of love and passion to your recipient. Another wonderful choice that makes for a passionate Valentine’s bouquet is a bundle of radiantly red tulips.
- For a birthday - A birthday bouquet should be sent depending on the recipient’s favourite blooms and colour. Nevertheless, if you are unsure of the birthday celebrant’s preference, you can never go wrong with birth month flowers. Take a look at this chart to check the birth flowers for each month of the year.
- For the birth of a child - Congratulate new parents with a fresh bundle of daffodils, lilies or daisies. These blooms all represent new beginnings.
- For someone who is feeling under the weather - A beautiful get well bouquet can lift the spirits of anyone who is feeling under the weather! When sending flowers to someone who’s in the hospital, it’s better to pick blooms that aren’t too fragrant, such as irises or gladiolas. If a loved one is recovering in their own home, marigolds and other brightly coloured houseplants are a great pick-me-up.
- For a loved one who is grieving - Colour is an extremely important factor to consider when sending flowers to someone who is grieving. Avoid oranges and reds, and go for flowers in soft pastels, greens, and blues as they symbolise peace, humility, and calmness.
- For anniversaries - Just as there are specific flowers for each birth month, there are also anniversary flowers that correspond with the length of your marriage.
Check out our article for more information: “Gifting Flowers - Which Flowers are Appropriate for the Occasion?”.
What gifts to include in your flower delivery
As we’ve mentioned earlier, online florists can help make your beautiful blooms even more special by tossing in a couple of add-ons. If you want to show a bit more affection and admiration, consider these gifts to send along with your lovely bouquet:
- Plush toys - Sending flowers to a new mum or dad? Don’t forget to include a cuddly plush toy for their new bundle of joy as well! At Wild Poppies, we have a range of soft toys perfect to celebrate the arrival of a precious baby boy or girl. Aside from plush toys, you can also choose from our selection of newborn baby gift sets. Our gift sets feature a carefully curated list of items such as a seasonal Posy, baby bath products, baby clothes, and more.
- Gourmet gift baskets - It’s heartwarming to receive flowers from friends and loved ones, but even more so if you receive a gourmet gift basket along with it! We have a wide array of gourmet gift baskets that are perfect for telling your recipient you appreciate and think about them! Whether you’re giving it to your mom on Mother’s Day, as a thoughtful gift to your favourite host or hostess, or for any other cheerful celebratory moment, a bunch of blooms along with an elegant gourmet gift basket will surely brighten up anyone’s day.
- Candles and room perfumes - You’re getting them some fragrant blooms, why not add a pack of beautifully scented candles and room perfumes while you’re at it? Spoil your gift recipient with our stylish range of Ashley & Co products along with our lovely flowers! Some of the products we carry include Ashley & Co soap, waxed perfume, and tube hand cream.
- Chocolates and candies - You can never go wrong with the bouquet and chocolates combo. An oldie but goodie, this romantic combo is the perfect treat to give for your loved one - or for anybody with a sweet tooth! At Wild Poppies, we carry a selection of sweet treats from Devonport Chocolates, Bennetto Chocolates, Miann Chocolates, and more.
When you want to send the freshest and most vibrant blooms to your loved ones or as a treat for yourself, buying flowers online is definitely the best way to go. Not only is it fast, easy, and convenient, but you also get to browse through a range of different flowers online in a plethora of colours!
Make sure not to settle for just any online flower delivery, though. It’s important that you do your research well in order to get the most out of your purchase.
Ready to grab some beautiful blooms? Look no further than Wild Poppies! We’ve been in the floral business for over 25 years, so you can rest easy that we really know flowers and gifts. Feel free to look at our selection of flowers online, call us 0800 809 453, or drop into our store and have a chat with our lovely team.
If you want to check out some of our work, head on to our Instagram and let us know how we can help you brighten your recipient’s day!